[Matroska-devel] Re: Compression track 3

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Fri Oct 7 22:08:17 CEST 2005

Paul Bryson wrote:
> "Steve Lhomme"  wrote
>
>>Hi (again),
>>
>>Another addition for the coming days in Matroska is the new compression
>>feature of each track. The idea is to strip the header of each frame in
>>the track, because that header is always the same. It's then readded on
>>playback.
>

> As we already have a "compression" feature, perhaps a different term should
> be used for this feature to avoid confusion.  Maybe BlockAppend or
> BlockStrip? BlockRepeater?  I'm sure someone could come up with a really
> good term for this.

No, it's a lossless compression handled at the container level for the
specified track. It's perfectly fine to call it compression. There is a
"compression" and "decompression" involved, even though it's the most
basic possible (apart from null transformation). The name of the codec
is "Header Stripping".

> I don't know if they are common, but what about stripping the footer also?
> Do many codecs use a byte sequence to close their frame?

No, I don't think so. Not worth the effort.