[Matroska-devel] New SimpleBlock

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Fri Oct 7 21:02:49 CEST 2005

Hi,

We are in the process of adding a new Block element to the specs. The
idea is to make it as simple as possible to write and to read. That is
no complex referencing system and such. So the new SimpleBlock is now at
the same level as BlockGroup (which then lose his mandatory feature in
the block). It has the same format as our good old Block, with the
addition of 2 flags :
- keyframe (set when the frames of the Block are stand alone)
- discardable (set when the frame can be safely discarded on playback)

This change was motivated by Haali and Mosu to avoid parsing the codec
to find references and the required timecode. There should be no problem
on playback as it's the way AVI and MP4 work.

Files with that new block should be available soon from mkvmerge and
Haali's muxer (and hopefully AVI-Mux GUI), so you'll have to update your
player for such files. Haali already supports it in his experimental
build and I'll it to VLC this week-end when mkvmerge can create such files.