[Matroska-devel] Licensing question

ivanburnin at hushmail.com ivanburnin at hushmail.com
Fri Oct 7 01:06:07 CEST 2005

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 22:44:47 -0700 Christian HJ Wiesner
<chris at matroska.org> wrote:
>matroska, the format, is license free. However, some of the code
>is not.
>If you say you are using matroska for your app, exactly what parts

>of
>the code have you been using, and what kind of changes did you add

>?

So far there isn't any code, I'm in early negotiations with the
copyright holders. Eventually though the preference would be to use
the DirectShow plugin architecture. The modifications would revolve
primarily around establishing the ability to embed DRM into all the
components, obviously the video and audio codecs support it (we'll
be writing our own wrapper codecs) but I haven't dug deep enough
into the subtitle and menu architectures to see if they already
support it. I know how much we all enjoy DRM, but copyright holders
generally really like it. I was thinking about creating an
architecture for subtitles that creates an alpha-based overlay, so
the subtitles would be seperately rendered, and overlayed via alpha-
channels. Assuming that the subtitle subsystem was then built on a
plugin architecture this would eliminate all of our problems (we
could create an encrypted one), and the rendering would provide a
more powerful architecture for the rest of Matroska.

>About your will to give some form of donations to the project,
>thanks a lot.

Of course.