[Matroska-devel] Licensing question

Ivan Burnin ivanburnin at hushmail.com
Wed Oct 5 13:19:26 CEST 2005

I've got a licensing question, I know this horse has been beaten to death,
but it had a foal.

Here's the situation. I have an application (pending funding and
negotiations) that will be legally distributing video. Because of the nature
of the video I have pseudonymed myself because I don't know if the Matroska
developers would want to be associated with it (I will gladly denym myself
if the developers agree under private disclosure). Additionally, because of
the DRM necessary it may be necessary to make changes to the root code
(obviously donated back). The initial target viewer is Windows Media Player,
so the changes should be fairly minor.

I'm not concerned about the legal aspects, any half-witted lawyer could
guide me through that process, in fact I wouldn't even need a lawyer.
Instead I'm asking about the social contract. My view is quite simple; this
was developed by people that deserve recognition of their preferred form. So
what I'm asking is what form do the developers want this recognition in? I
had considered revisiting the earlier suggestion of a licensing authority
which would pay some amount to the core developers, or alternately
attempting to keep a position available should one of the developers need
it. I'm willing to listen to opinions and would actually _like_ to pay some
form of licensing fee.

On the licensing fee, in whatever form. I want to see Matroska become
better, and I realize that having licensing fees (in whatever form) involved
greatly increases the odds of that happening. Obviously this would be purely
a social contract proposition, but you all deserve recognition for your work
and I do my best to give recognition where recognition is due.