[Matroska-devel] Re: Xine 2.0 going Gstreamer ??? was : [Fwd: xine 2.0 and gstreamer]

Michael Roitzsch mroi at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Nov 9 17:36:51 CET 2005

Hi Christian, Hi Matroska-team,

> Interesting approach from one of the lead developers of the Xine
> project, Michael Roitsch. amaroK, the Linux audio player, was
> taking this out front in some way, as they can use Xine or
> Gstreamer as their engines. If both projects merge, they had only
> one, but maybe more powerful :) ....

Hmm, I am curious how this has spread so far in so little time? :)
It's true that I came up with this on the xine-devel list, but this
is a very long-term idea. xine always had some loose connections to
the gstreamer project through commonly used libraries. And while I
personally expect both projects to move closer together in the
future, right now there will not be something one would call a
"merge". Of course things may look different a year or two from now,
but there are no plans to radically change the media landscape in
Linux. Just think of this as a long-term target.

Michael