[Matroska-devel] Re: USF muxing

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Mon May 23 09:07:53 CEST 2005

Hey,

On Sunday 22 May 2005 22:06, unmei wrote:
> The specs say nothing about a BOM, but i think we once agreed there
> should be none. Certainly it is not required.

mkvmerge's policy is: If a (text) file is written and its encoding is
UTF-* then write a BOM. I'd like to stick to that. Reading will also
probably not work with XML files encoded in UTF-8 without a BOM!

> Valid USF files are always UTF-8 encoded.

Not true, that's what the first line is for:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

Most XML parsers accept at least UTF-8 and ISO8859-1.

> Also <metadata> should actually occur exactly once

:) mkvmerge doesn't care how often an element occurs, it just puts them
into CodecPrivate as they come. It won't try to sanitize them either.

> (Yeah i know, this file seems to hve been saved with a particularly
> borked version of u96).

;)

> Anyway, u96 and the rasteriser should accept both files with and
> without BOM.

That's good.

> u96 should no longer add BOMs but maybe it keeps them if present.

That's not good... It'll require some changes in mkvmerge.

Mosu