[Matroska-devel] Japanese translations

Liisachan Liisachan at faireal.net
Thu Mar 31 21:57:50 CEST 2005

Steve,

Please understand that I didnt say all those things because I
hate you or something, but because I'd like to kinda help you
(you guys might really be in trouble because of this: quite a
few Japanese instantly react more or less emotionally if you use
the word jap--this problem is way more serious than you might
think, for historical reason), and also because I didn't want to
see the young person from Japan, willing to help you guys,
discouraged all of a sudden because of a trivial thing.

Well, I'd say...you could have just said "Ok, this abbreviation
is not good, but it's just naming convention and it's too late
to change." or something, rather than like "Any word could be
offensive. You felt insulted? So what?"

I already have said what I should.
I know you didn't mean to be rude.

Like I've been repeating, personally I don't mind at all
and I agree with you. Personally I even kinda hate those who
insist you shouldn't abbreviate japanese as jap. They are kinda
silly. But we can't ignore the reality.

Even in anime fandom, where ppl say they love Japan,
they often say jap for japan innocently
without knowing that is an offensive word and quite a few
Japanese would get mad if they heard that.
Usually I say nothing in such a conversation,
because it's not my problem, and actually I don't mind that so
much.

> Each language is in english using the first 3 letters. Hopefully "fre",
> "rus", "spa", "por", "ger", "dut" and "ita" are not offense too.

We did the same thing for those long ago, but "may" for Malay,
not "mal"
http://ld-anime.faireal.net/guide/mkv-may
"jpn" for Japan, not "jap"
http://ld-anime.faireal.net/guide/mkv-jpn

using the first 3 letters doesn't work to distinguish
Malayalam, Malagasy, and Malay.
But I think you know that's not the point...

> Aren't japanese coders using mnemonic too ? To make the code easy to
> read ? I'm sure anyone can understand the choice made here.

Sure anyone understand jap stands for japan(ese), but I'm sure
not everyone would say that is a good choice.

if you really want to know,
usually they use "j" or "ja" for "japanese" and "jp" for "Japan"
and "jpn" if you need 3 letters. Not always but usually.

I'm not blaming you. Just so you know.
Knowing it might help you to get along with someone from japan,
working together for a great project. Hopefully.
They are usually modest and polite (unlike me :P) and kinda shy
and wouldn't say anything if you made them angry.

Liisachan