[Matroska-devel] Japanese translations

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Thu Mar 31 20:00:17 CEST 2005

Liisachan a écrit :
> Hi,
>

>>The usual rule : if it ain't broken, don't fix it. This thing is not
>>displayed, it's just some server-side code.
>

> Another usual rule: keep out of harm's way. Just because no one
> is likely to witness it now, doesn't justify it forever.
>
> It might have been broken already if the translators had been
> more sensitive. Isn't this supposed to be an open-source project
> where anyone can join anytime? like memory leak, this could be
> potentially risky, at least indecent, even tho things may look
> like working now, ad hoc.
>
> for the record i warned you: Telling someone from Japan to
> add the comment "jap" to his/her work is like asking someone
> from Mexico to identify himself as "wetback."

I hope you don't go to every coders asking them to change their
mnemonics because it might offense someone in a language (like matroska
means sailor shirt in some).

If you have a "politically correct" dictionary, please review the rest
of our code to see if we didn't offense anyone. Like on this page :

http://svn.matroska.org/svn/www/trunk/www.matroska.org/data/include/page-head.html

Each language is in english using the first 3 letters. Hopefully "fre",
"rus", "spa", "por", "ger", "dut" and "ita" are not offense too.

BTW, "ja" means "yes" in german.

> Personally _I_ don't mind, but I can foresee that nothing good
> will come out of this when more people from Japan happen to join
> you. It may happen if Matroska goes on for a few more years.
> Or maybe not.

Aren't japanese coders using mnemonic too ? To make the code easy to
read ? I'm sure anyone can understand the choice made here.

And finally in matroska we do french, german, texas, etc bashing all the
time. No offense to anyone, just having fun.