[Matroska-devel] Japanese translations

Liisachan Liisachan at faireal.net
Thu Mar 31 15:14:07 CEST 2005

Hi,

This might be very trivial, I don't mean to be picky,
but it'd be advisable to use "jpn" instead of "jap" to avoid any
possible misunderstanding.

ordinary people (including myself) usually don't care,
but technically, "jap" is *doubly* offensive slang
meaning:

 (a) "Japanese"
http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/jap?view=uk

and
(b) "Jewish woman"
http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/DictionaryResults.aspx?refid=1861622917

I guess that's why the ISO 3-letter code is JPN,
for "political correctness."

Best regards,

Liisachan