[Matroska-devel] Re: Google Search

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Wed Mar 30 14:12:36 CEST 2005

Steve Lhomme a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> As you know, it's always hard to find the video you're looking for on
> your HD except if you use very long file names and you are very organised.
>
> Google has a desktop search tool that could make it easier to find
> videos on your HDD. Apparently there is an open API to add your own file
> type. Adding Matroska support there could be a good thing for users, and
> for the project in general. So if you have time to look at this it could
> be a great thing. Otherwise I'll have a look after I'm done with menu in
> VLC, various fixes here and there, a muxer in VLC (and before the editor
> we need).
>
> Imagine searching on your system: "video using RealVideo with a 16:9
> aspect ratio and smaller than 30 MB" or "Tracks which producer is Trevor
> Horn".
>
> http://desktop.google.com/developer.html

Well, Jory did it but didn't publish binaries yet (the code is in SVN).

One thing that could be done is to make the SegmentUID known to the
search engine (via the displayed text if I understand correctly how it
works). This way the engine could be later used to find matching segment
UIDs on the system for linked files (like .part files being loaded for
example ?). The same is usefull for Family UIDs.

I wonder if it would be possible to tweak eMule to look for a segment
UID rather than a filename...

Maybe when I'll have Tiger (OS X.4) I could add a smiliar feature to
Spotlight too.