[Matroska-devel] W3C is considering Binary XML (!)(?)

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Thu Mar 24 10:12:07 CET 2005

Age Bosma a écrit :
> Steve Lhomme wrote:
>

>> Thanks Prodoc ! (long time no see)
>>

> Aye, I know, don't realy have an excuse though...except the fact that I
> fried my mainboard so I had to get me a new one, re-install Windows,
> decided to switch to Firefox and Thunderbird instead of Mozilla and
> because of this I didn't have an IRC client anymore...if that counts for
> an excuse :-D
>
> The other day I came to the conclusion that I seem to be semi-involved
> in too many different open source projects without actually doing
> anything tangible, not enough to my liking that is... I've been diving
> into the C++ maze lately though. I'm a bit fed up with all the PHP,
> HTML, CSS and JavaScript stuff I've been doing for the past couple of
> years so I desided to dust off my programming "skills" (of you can
> actually talk of skills) from the time before that (MSX Basic and
> Pascal). This might give me a chance to actually "create" something again.
> I'm also looking for a OpenSource project that can be combined with my
> education at uni so I can use uni time for the things I realy want to
> do, which is helping out with OS projects I find interesting.
> I might be rushing thing a bit now but one of my possible plans is to
> work on the MusicBrainz tagger. The way they are heading (or trying to)
> imo offers an opportunity to implement easy nested tagging. Eventhough
> the tagger isn't actually ment for this purpose, tags in formats like
> mp3 and ogg will just be stored the way it's being done now, it does (in
> a way) create a nested view if the info so if Matroska support is added
> this can be used to store the tags nested in just the Matroska container.

Very interresting. Yeah, I don't think nested tags exist anywhere so
far. One of the many things Matroska will have to push (and why it takes
more time to become usable). Most of the audio apps are not designed to
handle a whole album in one file or it's very hacky. That's currently
the main problem. But a tag-only application could be a good first step.

I'm currently working on VLC and they have a playlist. I wonder if they
have any plans to support this kind of feature in the future. Otherwise
any iTunes-like audio player could be a good option. (maybe TCMP too).

Good luck with C++, it's a really good choice ;)