[Matroska-devel] Re: Profiles v2

Zen aaa at aaaa.com
Tue Mar 15 15:24:41 CET 2005

Steve Lhomme wrote:

> Support for these codec is easy. But it's true that it looks strange
> that we support 3 lossless codec. Especially since some devices would
> not be compliant just because of that. Maybe I consider them as too
> important. If I had to choose one, it would be Wavpack, because it has
> this hybrid mode, which is good for portable players. So maybe I'll drop
> the other 2. Having at least one (again, that list in the minimum) is
> also a choice of quality vs ease of compliance... In the other hand TTA
> is a CoreCodec project and the format itself is very simple and
> efficient compared to FLAC. But that would be more a political choice.

This is already a political choice to have a lossless codec in a player
specification, because nobody in the industry think this is the future,
only geeks do this :)
But... If you think it is easy to implement this with every kind of CPU,
yes, there is DTS and AC3 in DVD, why not 3 lossless formats? ;-)

And another thing :
why ID like P, X, T, H? Yes, H = HD player and do on... but : it is easy
to know that 1>2, no T<H.
Maybe class 1, 2, 3, 4 should be better?