[Matroska-devel] Profiles v2

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Mon Mar 14 16:30:11 CET 2005

Liisachan a écrit :
> Steve Lhomme <steve.lhomme at free.fr> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I just uploaded a draft of hardware profiles that we could use. Any
>>comments are welcome, because it's an important part if manufacturers
>>consider using Matroska.
>>
>>http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/profiles/new_draft.html
>>
>>RealVideo was left out on purpose. Subs formats could be included too.
>

> I still remember some of you were trying to re-motivate USF devs
> in 2003, when (iirc) there was an offer for matroska hw support:
> http://lists.matroska.org/pipermail/matroska-devel/2003-October/000972.html
>
> USF would be ideal, but I'm afraid it is not going to come in
> time at this rate...or perhaps never.
>
> Realistically, they should support at least SRT, and maybe
> S_VOBSUB too. Another possibility is ttxt from mp4 world?

Well, given there are already some existing hardware devices based on
VLC, anything that VLC can handle could be handled in such devices (OK,
they are used for streams, not CD/DVD/HD reading). We are trying to
motivate some devs to make USF work with VLC, as DShow seemed too
complex for the moment. It hope it works...

Yes, MP4's ttxt should be supported too someday in Matroska.

Vobsub is obviously a candidate for these profiles, as they are already
handled by the DVDs. SRT and other processed text might not. Because you
need for CPU for that. Probably why DivX chose a picture based format...