[Matroska-devel] Segment hard/soft/medium linking

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Mon Mar 14 13:37:23 CET 2005

Mike Matsnev a écrit :
> Steve Lhomme wrote:
>
>> I have added a new element in the specs to handle medium linking. It's
>> "ChapterSegmentUID" which is a segment UID that takes place of a dummy
>> chapter. So that the content of that segment is played in place of
>> that chapter. There is still a pending problem with that, since
>> start/end time shouldn't apply here (to allow changing them
>> independantly of other segments). But so far "ChapterTimeStart" is
>> mandatory. This change is easy to do in the specs/code. But does it
>> make sense and what is the impact ???
>
> Chapter times are essential there, because they allow pulling arbitrary
> parts from other segments.

Yes, but it breaks the modularity/object-oriented aspect of matroska. A
segment shouldn't depend on other segments when playing back. At least
not when it's supposed to be blind (like an intro/outro). Also you could
edit the intro/outro without having to remux and update all the episodes
(in your example).

Now the start time pb is not really an issue, we should just use 0,
which means we start at the beggining of the other segment, then it's up
to that segment to play how it prefers (using ordrered chapters for
example).