[Matroska-devel] MKV DVD structure & player certification?

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Sun Mar 13 14:19:48 CET 2005

DigitalRise a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> No DVD structure? Don't forget the PC users. Most of the PC users are not
> freaks. So the structure should contain a directory with the needed playback
> filters and an autorun.inf which check/install the needed filters and start
> the playback. So minimum requirement for a MKV DVD should be the usage on
> "Pure Windows" with no filters installed.

We don't intend to playable "just" on Windows. Matroska files can
already read on Windows, Linux, OS X, BeOS and PocketPC. So we should
not create a directory for each possible OS in the world. DVDs usually
don't do that. And if we ever need to do something like this, it will be
cross-platform.

> For standalone players a content.xml in the main directory should be also
> available which contains information about the files on the disc. These file
> can be read from the player to take the right action (autoplay or show the
> content for selection).

That is a good idea. But then it should not be restricted to Matroska
(AVI, MP4, MPG, etc).

> My suggestion for the content.xml / player requirements:
>
> + if the content.xml (the DVD) contains more than one file, the player has
> to display the content list. Otherwise the single file is played immediate.
>
> + each file definition contains:
>     - short description
>     - description
>     - length
>     - audio / video field (the file contains only audio, only video or both)
>     - video resolution (maybe interested for the player?)
>     - video aspect ratio (also interested for the player?)
>     - audio information (num. of channels?)
>     - additional information (interlaced, progressive, etc for the player)
>     - etc

Yes, that sounds like a good idea. But in the end the player doesn't
know if it can play the file or not. Only scanning the file with the
embedded software can make sure it could work (codec & container used).
So maybe if you add these info (codecs, container, number of segments,
target profile) it would give a good idea if the player can read it or not.

> The file definitions from content.xml are displayed if the DVD is inserted
> and more than one files are on the DVD. So the user can check the
> description, see the length of the film, etc and play the stuff he wants.
> Also a player should display these information via OSD when user calling the
> "MKV container information" while playback.
>
> What do you think? A DVD structure and/or the content.xml is not an useful
> thing?

Yes it is !!! But it's almost a project on its own. IMO this format
should be flexible enough to support all known/main containers... I
don't have the time to work on this right now. But if you want to start
it, I'll be glad to contribute ideas and comments.