[Matroska-devel] Re: USF: PixiShow, Ruby Tested, a ChronoSub bug

liisa seelie at faireal.net
Wed Jun 29 01:55:07 CEST 2005

Hi,

Luca Della Santina <lucads at email.it> wrote:

> liisa wrote:
>
> >For those who are interested,
> >GraphEdit/video screenshots,
> >sample USF and sample MKV are here:
> >
> >http://usf.subforge.net/20050625.php
> >

> Very nice examples liisa, i'd like to ask you a favor to you: can you
> prepare a sample usf file with some advanced stuffs (mainly ruby &
> non-ANSI characters and what good comes in your mind) in order to deeply
> dest the filter?

I'll see what I can do, Im a bit busy atm
but I'd like to test USF features more, in the near future.

BTW, USF specs are already finalized?
Against which specs am I supposed to test it?

> >In my test, PixiShow_20050619.exe didn't regsvr32 properly,
> >so I regsvr32'ed the filter manually.
> >

> I'll provide a new installer with different filter registration this
> afternoon, i hope it'll work better than the previous regsvr32 stuff.
>
> >Plus, I had to configure Haali filter, so that
> >VSFitler compat. will be "No".
> >

> I have to speak with Haali about this point.
>
> >ChronoSub is poor at handling special characters.
> >For instance,
> >
> > Alice & Bob: Oh?
> >
> >would be like this in SSA/ASS:
> >
> >Dialogue: ... ,sty1,Alice & Bob,0000,0000,0000,,Oh?
> >
> >ChronoSub converts it into this USF element:
> >
> ><text style="sty1" speaker="Alice & Bob" effect="">
> >
> >which should be
> >
> ><text style="sty1" speaker="Alice & Bob" effect="">
> >

> I didn't know about this needed conversion of the "&" character, i'll
> provide bugfixes as soon as possible, are there other special characters?

It's XML.
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/

At least you MUST escape &, <, and > as &, <, and >
and single-quote character (') MAY be represented as "'"
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#syntax

Otherwise, general XML parsing lib will be foobered and complain
it's not a well-format xml.

I have yet another big question about ChronoSub.
Doesn't it have [G]?--I mean [G] as in Sub Station Alpha or in
Sabbu, the key to "Grab" the timing.
I can edit things on ChronoSub but I cannot time from WAV,
which means, basically no fansubbers will use this.

> Thank you very much liisa.

PixiShow is going to be the USF renderer?
Or is it going to be support SRT/SSA etc in the end?
It'd be great if it's going to be an alternative VSFilter,
just like Haali vs Gabest Splitter.
VSFilter is reallly great, but having a second option is
generally very helpful in many meanings.

Keep up your great job!! :)