[Matroska-devel] Re: [xine-user] Re: More on Mpeg2 in Matroska

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Sat Jul 30 21:10:14 CEST 2005

Hi James,

copying matroska-devel on this, so the devs will know. Answers below

James Stembridge schrieb:

>Hi Christian,
>
>On 7/30/05, ChristianHJW <christian at matroska.org> wrote:
>

>>What happens if you remove the .idx subtitles ( vobsub ), but leave the
>>rest unchanged ?
>>

>I don't think that's the cause of the problem, I've tried muxing a
>plain m2v into mkv and there are indeed problems with playing this
>file with xine.
>I wonder, does matroska store mpeg-2 frames in display rather than
>coding order? The docs don't seem very clear on the matter, but
>looking at the decoded result I'm guessing it might be the former - I
>which case we'll have to buffer/re-order frames before feeding them to
>libmpeg2. James.

Bear in mind, i am just a helper person with a big mouth, and at least
from a technical point of view i normally dont have a clue what i am
talking about ;-). I hope our devs will correct me immediately, should i
talk nonsense. In fact, IIRC you can create a valid MKV file ( in theory
) by throwing the frames into the file in any order you like, the
important thing is that the timestamps given to every block ( = frame in
99,99% of the cases ) are in display order. Of course, most MKV muxing
apps will put the frames into the MKV file in coding order, as given to
them by the encoder or source container, meaning that especially for
b-frames the timestamps on the blocks will NOT be in the right order.
Hope this help to identify and solve the problem you are facing.

Christian
matroska project admin
http://www.matroska.org