[Matroska-devel] Trying to open a MKV file that is beind downloaded.

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Wed Jul 13 09:45:25 CEST 2005

Hey,

On Wednesday 13 July 2005 06:59, Jimmy Jarrell wrote:
> I have installed all the approipriate codecs and I am also using TCMP as
> well as MPC but I still get this error: "First element in file is not
> EBML." The file I am trying to open is one that is currently be
> downloaded

The "usual" peer-to-peer programs work by downloading random pieces from
users that already have that piece. In your case it seems that the very
start of the file has not been downloaded yet. And that is indeed
required to identify a file properly. The first part also contains the
track headers etc -- all the information that is vital for playback. So
until you've downloaded that part you won't have any luck playing such a
file, sorry.

Mosu