[Matroska-devel] Trying to open a MKV file that is beind downloaded.

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Wed Jul 13 07:34:07 CEST 2005

Jimmy Jarrell schrieb:

> I have installed all the approipriate codecs and I am also using TCMP
> as well as MPC but I still get this error: "First element in file is
> not EBML."  The file I am trying to open is one that is currently be
> downloaded and I wanted to view the file to make sure it was what the
> title said.  I have done some research on your website as well as
> around the web but I haven't been able to find a fix.

Well done about researching first, thats not the usual habit :)

> Would the fact that I am still downloading the file produce this
> error?  Thank you for any help.
> Jimmy "WolfBurns" Jarrell

Very likely, yes, DirectShow players are pretty picky sometimes. You may
try VLC from http://www.videolan.org instead . Its not DirectShow based
and will play even truncated files IIRC , only problem is it wont work
for MKV files with Realvideo ( RV 9/10 ) content.