[Matroska-devel] improvement suggsestions

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Tue Jan 11 16:55:47 CET 2005

Hi Jonathan,

both suggestions are already a fixed part of the matroska specs since
more than one year, we just had no chance to implement them completely
into our software in a proper way.

1. is called 'file linking' and is supported in mkvmerge for file
creation since some time already, but no player makes use of it
currently, also because of limitations of DirectShow for Windows. We
hope that independant players like VLC or Xine will make use of this
feature one day, or maybe Gstreamer as a framework will support it in
future.

2. was called 'control tracks' a long time, and now recently was renamed
to 'super chapters'. Those 'super chapters' will basically allow you to
pre-define several ways to play a file with multiple audio, video + subs
tracks, like

- play video + german audio + german subs
- play video + english audio + english subs
- play video + japanese ( original ) audio + english subs
- play chapter one ( intro ) + episode 3 + outro, all in english language

etc.

Mosu wanted to enhance his 'chapter editor' in mmg.exe to allow creation
of them, they can already be muxed from XML files containing the right
info and Haali's splitter can play them already.

Regards

Christian