[Matroska-devel] improvement suggsestions

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Tue Jan 11 16:51:13 CET 2005

Jonathan Mews a écrit :
> hi,
>
> i thought about two things:
> 1.) there should be a key you can store in the matroska file, to indicate
> that, e.g., three movie parts belong together. so it's effectively
> possible for a movie player to get automatically the information whether
> to play the next file with the same audio stream (and so, e.g., the same
> language). for it md5 could be used.

I exists already. It's called file linking (but should be called file
splitting).
http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/index.html#SegmentFilename

See: PrevUID and NextUID.

I think Haali's splitter support that already and mkvmerge has been
using that for a long time.

> 2.) groups should be able to made. so you can combine an audio and
> subtitle stream and chapter names ... all of one language, e.g., and then
> give the groups the name "english" and "german". but it mustn't be only a
> language setting only to combine some streams. it has to be a general

Track grouping is planned.
https://corecodec.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=120&group_id=49&atid=272

> grouping system. (it would be great if there could be a system that lets
> you store the chapter time ranges only one time, but lets you set more
> than one name, e.g. like in some string resources, to have the chapter
> names of e.g. two languages.)

That part exists already. You can set the same chapter name for various
languages. I'm not sure any player allow switching from one to the other
for the moment...

> what do you think about it? and are you able to carry out this?

All of them exist or will exist soon. But support in various player will
take some time...