[Matroska-devel] Re: [mosu] r2701 - trunk/prog/video/mkvtoolnix/src/merge

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Mon Jan 10 11:39:42 CET 2005

Moritz Bunkus a écrit :
> Hey,
>

>>Nop, I think we need 2 different linking systems :
>>
>>- one for continuous playback (as it was), it's the same content
>

> That's what I have implemented at the moment, is it not?

Yes

>>- one for related content like DVD domains
>

> Maybe, but having a "cummulative duration" in the files is plain wrong.

Why ?

I can see a reason why it's good : contain that spans on both parts of a
file. Like a subtitle that would last 10s and that you cut in the middle
(at 5s). In the case of the good-old file linking, the segments can be
seen as one. And therefore there is no problem. Again, it's the same
content (all same codec, track numbers, etc).

In the case of DVD-like linking the content is very different and should
be seen as different.