[Matroska-devel] Spec Change (chapter start time)

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Fri Jan 7 10:22:51 CET 2005

Hi,

As I'm progressing through DVD ripping, it seems that there are some
DVDs that use the same cell in different PGCs and different programs. Of
course we are not going to keep all instance of these cells many times
in the output file. So the DVD chapters will be an EditList as Haali
calls it (EditionFlagOrdered = 1). That also means that the Chapter
start and end time for upper chapter levels are useless. Since you could
have something like this :

PGC 0:0:0 -> 0:25:0
   Cell 0:3:20 -> 0:5:0
   Cell 0:0:0  -> 0:3:20
   Cell 0:20:0 -> 0:25:0

Which contains gaps. So the time for the PGC is irrelevant, both start
and end times...

In the specs the ChapterTimeStart is mandatory at all levels. But that
has no sense for EditionFlagOrdered = 1.  I'm thinking about removing
the mandatory property. Any objections ?