[Matroska-devel] mmg.exe 2 Bugs Related to Charset

Liisachan Liisachan at faireal.net
Sat Jan 1 14:11:16 CET 2005

Hi,

thx for your work, here's the result of quick test--

Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Happy New Year :)
>
> I've created a new build for you to test. It does not convert the
> command line to UTF-8 anymore but leaves it just like it
> is.

That works fine as expected.

 Furthermore, Haali suggested to me that I use "GetCommandLineW()" in
> mkvmerge and parse that myself instead of using the "argc/argv"
> parameters that the program gets handed because Windows obviously does
> some charset reencoding for argv itself.

True, really annoying. GetCommandLineW() should work.

 This I've done, and it does
> work for me on Windows XP and Windows 98 with German "Umlaute" in the
> file name. Granted, mkvmerge's output under command.com did not keep the
> Umlaute intact, but running it from mmg was fine. The files created were
> identical in both cases.

That doesn't work.
(1) Can't copy and paste WCHAR to MMG's editbox. So I cannot
really test. but
(2) You should be able to pass a commandline in WCHAR to
mkvmerge from [Start]->Run, but it can't eat WCHAR.

You can test by yourself there, for instance you can try

mkvmerge -o "C:\@@@@.mkv" "C:\vid.avi"

where @@@@ is a random WCHAR string, which you can copy and
paste from random webpages in China Japan Korea Arabia or
wherever

(3) If supporting Unicode, MMG should open a file with WCHAR
filename, but it can't: It gave me "File identification failed.
Return code: 2" when I just tried to [add] "a.flac" (a has an
accent mark, and this filename should be handled as WCHAR unless
system default charset is W.European) Probably you'll need to
use GetOpenFileNameW() ?

There seem to be no problems at all if the filename is in
Japanese, which is my default charset now. Copy to Clipboard now
works fine too. So, this build sure has a new positive feature.
:)

However, that I can handle Japanese filenames on my box whose
locale is Japanese, is just usual, not taking advantage of
power of WCHAR (GetCommandLineW() etc)

Liisachan