[Matroska-devel] new codec for video

Ausitn Coté Williams sporks5000 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 18:53:27 CET 2005

Dear MateJ,

Glad to hear that you've taken the time to download the software
necessary to play Matroska files!  I hope that you're able to warm up
to them more in the future.

Judging by your post here, though, I'm under the impression that
you're having a bit of confusion as to exactly what Matroska is. You
see, rather than a codec, Matroska is a container file, much like
Audio Video Interleave (AVI) or MPG. It's a file format designed to
take other data - be it audio, video, subtitles, etc. - and bundle it
together so that your computer is better able to process it.

More off, Matroska isn't just any container format, Matroska is the
*best* container format! Matroska is designed so that it can handle
any audio or video format without trouble. Unlike MPG or AVI files,
it's streamable – you don't have to have the whole file downloaded
before you can begin playing it - and unlike WMV files, it can contain
audio and video formats other than just the ones that Microsoft wants
to push, some of which can achieve far better compression ratios!

Matroska is also typically smaller. When compared to AVI files
containing the same video and audio data, MKV files are typically 0.5%
to 1% smaller! I've had enough downloads peter out at the last minute
to know that that can make a world of difference!

A more comprehensive comparison of Matroska to various other container
formats is available at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_container_formats .

You took the time to find this list and mail us your complaint, now
take the time to do the research and discover why Matroska is the best
container format for your audio and video needs!