[Matroska-devel] Re: Encryption

Paul Bryson paul at msn.com
Tue Dec 20 07:07:57 CET 2005

"Joseph Ashwood" wrote...
> I was thinking that this should actually be a wrapper around a block.
> Since it will only add a few bytes the overhead is minimal, and it will
> prevent a lot of mistakes that are very easy and very subtle. In fact I
> had hoped to make this a generic wrapper, so that each level and each
> track can be encrypted seperately if desired. The reason for this is that
> in some instances the various taggings/tracks/etc will leak information,
> and the encryption should be able to prevent this.

The current system was designed to have the encryption only encrypt the data
portion of the Block, not the entire thing.  I'm guessing that any extra
data that needed to be passed to the decrypter could be stored in that same
Block, aware only to the decrypter itself.

One reason for doing this is it allows the file to be manipulated, without
requiring any sort of decryption to occur.  For instance, the file could be
remuxed if it were damaged.

Note that while I helped on the design of this particular portion, I was
focused on allowing the ContentCompression and ContentEncryption to operate
through the same layer so they could be interchangeable, and allow for
stacking.  I know nothing about encryption methodologies, nor what would
result in a weakness.

I'm not particularly attached to the current system, especially as it hasn't
been implemented by anyone, but there are certain technical benefits (not
related to encryption) that it offers.  So if it were possible to use some
method that resulted in the same benefits, that would be wonderful.

Atamido