[Matroska-devel] ISO 3166-1 Country Codes Instead of ccTLDs?

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Mon Dec 5 14:52:07 CET 2005

Hey,

On Tuesday 29 November 2005 01:35, Pipian wrote:
> It seems to me that it would be thus more appropriate to use ISO 3166-1
> for the purposes of country codes, given that it is an accepted
> international standard (ccTLDs are vaguer in that regard) and is
> identical to the ccTLD with the exception of:

I wouldn't have too big of a problem with us using ISO 3166-1 instead of
ccTLDs. One problem is that we would again be changing specs and
possibly making some files invalid (those which use some of the
"transitional" or "exceptional" ccTLDs). On the other hand we like to
rely on well-established standards, and ISO certainly is one.

Any other comments?

Mosu