[Matroska-devel] UPX like standalone file

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Sat Aug 13 04:11:38 CEST 2005

Hi,

We were just discussing about business cards on a small CD (there are
some that look like a regular bank card). And I just realised how cool
it would be to have a video to present yourself or your company.
Matroska could be used for that, but we need to turn the file into a
.exe file. I think that making a basic player (maybe based on VLC with
built-in minimum codec) and working on the .exe to put the video in the
same file (you could put it in the end like a resource) would be great.
I think it has to work on the PE headers or EXE/DLL files. It would be
neat if the same file could be recognised as a matroska file by most
players (and the rest of the file considered as crap).

Any volunteer ?

A nice GUI to create such an EXE file on top of Mkvmerge GUI could even
be popular. When you want to distribute a file and noone has to worry on
how to play it on Windows (and it still plays in Linux/OS X).