[Matroska-devel] Errors on tests' compiling [Was: Re: libebml documentation]

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Tue Sep 28 21:09:39 CEST 2004

Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò a écrit :
> Steve Lhomme wrote:
>
>> You can have a look at libmatroska in the /test/mux/ directory. The
>> example are not complete but show how you should use the EBML classes
>> and create your own classes over them.
>
> I tried reading them and I was trying to compile them to check exactly
> what they do, but I'm having trouble in this: building them using the
> normal gcc test6.cpp -o test6, I have errors on my gentoo's gcc 3.4:
>
> test6.cpp:125:63: converting to execution character set: Invalid or
> incomplete multibyte or wide character
> test6.cpp:323:53: converting to execution character set: Invalid or
> incomplete multibyte or wide character
> test6.cpp:352:49: converting to execution character set: Invalid or
> incomplete multibyte or wide character
> test6.cpp:355:48: converting to execution character set: Invalid or
> incomplete multibyte or wide character

It's because the lines include some wide chars. But AFAIK OS X doesn't
support wide chars well in C++ (no std::wstring class IIRC). Maybe the
chars you get are not correct because you got the files in binary. Just
replace the weird characters by other weird ones. It's just to test
unicode encoding.

In Gentoo it's weird because it should work on any Linux.

> Instead trying to compile libmatroska under macos using the gentoo for
> osx support, I have a lot of errors stating
>
> /usr/include/ebml/IOCallback.h:89: error: template with C linkage
> /usr/include/ebml/IOCallback.h:93: error: template with C linkage

Really weird. It's supposed to compile on OS X.
What version of the libraries did you use ?

> this for quite all the files.
> Trying to build it using Xcode 1.1 was also unsuccessful.

I compiled it with XCode a long time ago and it worked. That even helped
me find a few bugs.