[Matroska-devel] Questions / suggestions regarding tags for "CD-in-Matroska"

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Sun Sep 26 10:41:04 CEST 2004

Vegard Pettersen a écrit :

> I've had a closer look at the tags-specification, and it appears that there
> are no formal tags for attaching CD-covers, booklets, lyrics etc., only the
> generic attachment-type.
>
> Wouldn't it be an idea to decide upon a standard set of tags for this
> information?

Definitely !
I've been thinking about that too. I think the current convention is to
give the filename a special name. That also makes sense. But that means
you can "detach" 2 such files in the same directory...

> Example:
> CD-cover (front cover implied):
> IMAGE_COVER (can be used for movies as well)
>
> CD-back:
> IMAGE_COVER_BACK (also good for movies)
>
> CD-booklet:
> This might be several pages or none. As such, it might be better suited for a
> chapter definition, for instance SCANNED_PAGES, with tags such as PAGE_1,
> PAGE_2, etc.

Yes, these all look like valid possibilities. IMO we should all merge
them into 1 tag that could be SLEEVE_TYPE. That would be a number like :

* -1 front cover
* -2 back cover
* -3 inside CD (on transparent CDs)
*  0 page 0 of the booklet (if different than the front cover)
*  1 page 1 of the booklet
*  . etc

> CD-lyrics:
> This should be plain text, and could alse be used for transcripts of movies,
> audio of interviews, theatrical performances etc.
> It might fit in per-track as well as per-chapter. Any suggestions for a
> tag-name besides LYRICS?

Well, for the lyrics or transcripts it makes more sense to have it muxed
with the stream. But I understand it takes more time to have it authored
this way. In the other hand, I don't think it needs a special treatment.
Or maybe for lyrics, that could be displayed a special way in a nice
audio player... But then that would mean the format of the lyrics should
be in a given format (plain text ? HTML ? XML ? other ?). So I'm not
sure we need to define that now. But if someone comes with a good
solution, that could be nice.

> On another note, returning to the indices for a CD, on some CDs they are
> named. How should this naming be implemented?

You can look at such an example here :
http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/tagging/example-audio.html#diff_cds

One CD is named "Housemusic" and the other is named "Electronicbody".