[Matroska-devel] Anime Tags

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Wed Sep 22 17:52:44 CEST 2004

(from a PM in HA)

 > Hi Liisachan,

 > We are currently finishing the list of "official tags" supported in
 > Matroska. It includes a lot of tags for movies. Could you see, with
 > your anime friends, if anything is missing for anime movies ?

(1) The most important item which might be missing for anime is Seiyu
(Voice Actor, Voice Actoress), but one can use the ACTOR tag for Seiyu
too. It might be a good idea to explicitly add about that to the ACTOR's
definition. like "...including a voice actor/actress (Seiyu) for anime"

Another thing related to anime that is less important but might be
welcome would be :
OPENING_THEME_SONG (aka OP)
&
ENDING_THEME_SONG (aka ED)

(2) I'm not insisting this, but hypothetically speaking, there could be
some tags for a subtitle track--not only for video and audio--, and if
they were, they would be:
TRANSLATED_BY
EDITED_BY
TIMED_BY
TYPESET_BY

(3) As for 'Technical Information' it might be a good idea to add one
about the color space, especially RGB_RANGE to distinguish PC Scale and
TV Scale.
In the future, there might be a smart video renderer for PC that
converts 16-235 to 0-255 only when the input RGB range is 16-235, and
does not convert that if the input is 0-255 (already optimized for PC);
so, it might be a good idea that MKV can tell the renderer about the
RGB_RANGE used in video encoding.
Today, ppl are often annoyed to see video rendering systems perform
16-235 to 0-255 conversion even tho the input is already 0-255 (PC
Scale), i.e. needlessly converting doubly, resuting that bright colors
will white out and dark colors will black out.

That's it. Just some random thoughts