[Matroska-devel] Multi-Angle

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Fri Sep 17 15:01:09 CEST 2004

Moritz Bunkus a écrit :

>>So apparently the discussion is now between a standard Track with
>>TrackOverlay or a semi-Track with TrackAssociate.
>

> Then let's just use a normal track with TrackOverlay and introduce a new
> TrackSubID which can store the angle ID. Because as far as I understand
> TrackOverlay this is just the link to another track. The angle ID still
> has to be stored somewhere.

OK to add that one. If that's the final solution.

But I'd like answers on the complexity on the player side when using
overlay tracks. It's far from trivial compared to DVD cells that can
replace each other in the same stream. Which is why I originally though
of doing the same in Matroska (stored at the BlockGroup level). In that
case you have to use the same codec for each angle and they are all
parts of the same track. That would mean extending BlockGroup one way or
another...

If the only problem is overhead in the general case, it can be solved
with having Block always for the main angle, and Block2 or whatever for
other angles. But there is another problem : IPB frames have to be at
the same position for all angles, which is not efficient...

So I'm really mixed on all solutions. #1 is probably the way to go. But
I'm concerned about players...