[Matroska-devel] Re: [Matroska-users] mkv file help

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Fri Sep 17 09:40:05 CEST 2004

Brett Sherman a écrit :
> howdy
> i came across my first mkv files today and was amazed
> at how small the files are while downjloading and how
> fast they can be accessed
> problem is I have no idea how to open them
> i am using my MAC OS 10.28
> typically i have been using vlc version 7.2 for my avi
> files but now im confused- i tried it to open the mkv
> but only got ausio and No picture
> it gave me the message
> "main: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `VP62'.
> VLC probably does not support this sound or video
> format.
> Any suggestions on how i can best play these files is
> much appreciated
> Many thanx

VLC is a great player. But for political reasons they refuse to support
proprietary codec (because it would violate the GPL). It's sad because
it could be *the* player anyone could use on all platforms. Given that I
have no idea what kind of codec VP62 is !

You might try MPlayerOSX which can read Matroska files too. You can get
binaries from SourceForge.