[Matroska-devel] DVD Menu

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Thu Sep 16 14:33:04 CEST 2004

I'm almost done with the chapter part of the DVD menu. I'm just missing
the actual timecodes of cells in the .vob file (dunno if that's the way
it's stored, I have to investigate a bit).

The menu keeps 100% of the needed /partition/ data to play a DVD with
menus. All commands are supported, and you can even keep the prohibited
commands inside a PGC (could be enabled/disabled in the filter).

The next step will be to extract audio, video, subs, buttons in separate
files. Each file corresponding to a timecode in the destination matroska
file that will be muxed. This way you can mux directly the files into
matroska and have about the same data as on the DVD (the size might be
significantly smaller than the original DVD). Or you can reencoded some
files (e.g. the MPEG2 into RV9 and the AC3 into AAC) and mux these files
into the matroska files. That's probably what will be used by rippers.

That means we'll have to either have one track per file or merge some
files that are contiguous & for the same language (before reencoding). I
think the final solution should be flexible enough to allow keeping the
menu or not.

I'm thinking about creating a text file format to indicate to the muxer
(mkvtoolnix and/or AMG) what file corresponds to what track and timecode
start. Something that could look like this :

<mux-batch>
	<track id="1" lang="en">
		<file src="audio1.ac3" start="0:00:00.0"/>
		<file src="audio2.ac3" start="0:01:32.0"/>
	</track>
	<track id="5" lang="fr">
		<file src="audio5.ac3" start="0:00:00.0"/>
		<file src="audio6.ac3" start="0:02:59.0"/>
	</track>
	<track id="12" lang="en">
		<file src="video.m2v" start="0:00:00.0"/>
	</track>
	<chapter src="dvd-menu.xml"/>
</mux-batch>

Any comments highly welcome.