[Matroska-devel] Request: Roadmaps

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Sun Sep 12 16:45:32 CEST 2004

Vegard Pettersen wrote:

> From the point of view of attempting to find out where I can contribute, I
> find it hard to orient myself as to what is going on in the project.

We have a TODO page :
http://www.matroska.org/team/todo.html

> What I would like to see, is a roadmap for each part of the project:
> * who is working on what

As Mosu said, most programs are one-man projects. But as we only deal
with open source softwares, anyone is free to contribute.

> * which features are they prioritising

We don't really have priorities. It's only what developers would like to
work on, or what the users ask. For example I started working on the
menu system a few weeks ago because Haali wanted to work on it.

> * which features are they postphoning (where can I contribute)

All that is on the TODO page. We'd like to support all that is there.
And if it's there, it's not done yet :)

> * for what reason are they postphoning the features (are they waiting on other
> parts of the project)

Time, need, lack of documentation.

> * what are some of the plans for future development (openings for new
> developers, in which they can have a crack at more or less independent work)

We are currently working on the menu and tags that are almost not
supported anywhere. There is a lot of work to do there. What I'd like is
also Wavpack support before we have all Matroska features done. Because
it will probably use a feature that is currently not used by other codec.

> I would also like to know what channels of communication are used the most -
> some people post more or less development news at hydrogenaudio, some post at
> corecodecs.com, there is talk of a more-or-less stable IRC-channel (I loathe
> IRC as a medium for reliable, archivable information, myself), and then there
> is this mailinglist, which seems more or less formal.

IRC is by far where most informations are exchanged between developpers.
And we spend a lot of time there. Otherwise the mailing lists and the
website (not for discussing but as a reference for the format). We also
keep logs of all IRC discussions :)