[Matroska-devel] Re: I'd like to help work on a matroska API

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Sat Sep 11 08:11:22 CEST 2004

Vegard Pettersen wrote:

> On Friday 10 September 2004 07:39, Moritz Bunkus wrote:
>
>>Anyway. Which operating system are you using? And what kind of
>>experience do you have with programming?
>

> I've got a Major's degree in Software Engineering from Queensland University
> of Technology. My interests are C++, perl, linux, and Unicode. Currently I
> use SuSE 9.1 on a shuttle.

All good.

> I am interested in helping out with matroska simply because the concept of
> storing metadata in a common container appeals to me. In a perfect world, the
> metadata should belong in the filesystem, but we don't and never will live in
> such a world, so rather than having a bazillion of different fileformats all
> trying to do _too_much_ with metadata, one container should find them and
> in... well, be sufficient.

I completely agree on this. I care a lot about meta-information. All
modern OS offer a way to store these informations or will in the near
future. The problem is that it's OS dependant. When you transfer such
files you completely lose all the meta data, especially since I don't
know of any protocol that can transfer them over a network (maybe SOAP
can do that quite inefficiently). So at some point you have to decide if
you prefer these info to only remain on your computer or allow others do
access them. That's where the containers come in. They allow storing
meta-information that can be accessed locally and remotely.

We're almost done with the tagging system that will store the most usual
meta-information about music and movies. You can have a look this URL
and comment it :
http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/tagging/

You can use this ML or our IRC channel irc://irc.corecodec.com/#matroska
(might be down while I write this)
There are also the forums on http://www.corecodec.com/

> If I can help out with the "CD-in-matroska", that would be preferable, as the
> music-and-metadata of matroska interests me the most. I've got about 1200 CDs
> which I have encoded with fLAC to single files and cue-sheets.

Wonderful ! At least someone who understand the need for a tagging
system that can handle such case. AFAIK there is no other than Matroska
that can do that.

Goldenear and Mosu have worked on it this summer. We already have
alpha/beta softwares that can take your FLAC+CUE files and export them
to Matroska+tags. Although since the tag system has been reworked I'm
not sure it's still up to date. So you might first have a look (ask Mosu
on IRC).

The second part you should have a look is the foobar2000 plugin which is
the only way so far to play these files decently (otherwise they play in
DirectShow but you won't have access to much tags). I think it's not up
to date with the tag names and the tag architecture. So if you want to
code something it could be that (first ;).

> Well, that should tell you a bit about me, and I'm looking forward to working
> with you all.

Thanks a lot to you.