[Matroska-devel] MNG? Was: CorePNG to store still images ?

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Tue Oct 5 16:12:20 CEST 2004

Arioch /BDV/ a écrit :

> The stars so gaily glistened... (Tue, 05 Oct 2004 15:27:08 +0200 @602)
> ...while the fading voice of Steve whispered through the darkness:
>
>  SL> I think the cleanest way is to use CorePNG, but that implies using a
>  SL> "sub-track" for each possible DVD video track (ie angle).
>
> I wonder, what is about MNG then ?
> ( i heard it is much like PNG, but with some advanced features liek animation. I also heard, that while format exists, full-featured libraries are not complete)
>
> But i heard that with side of my ears, so i just wonder.

MNG is so complicated that someone started hacking (or improving) PNG to
allow simple animations like in GIF... And CorePNG already exists and
should be very fine for what we need :) It's more suited than MPEG2 or
any other video codec for that. But unfortunately that's not the "easy"
solution for the moment...