[Matroska-devel] Re: Dirac Video Codec

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Fri Oct 1 12:23:28 CEST 2004

Hi again :)

On a technical side, I just looked at some of your documentation about
frames :
http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/dirac/documentation/dirac_enhancements/080multi_ref.htm

It seems you somehow use the same usual IPB frames principle but with
additions on the possibilities. That's great because the frame reference
we have designed allows the possibilities you are looking for. It can
take care, at the container side, about complex references that are not
possible with basic IPB frames (and therefore with most existing
containers, if not all).

In short, we can handle the number of frames that should be kept "in
cache" and reference any frame that is in that cache during playback.
The reference system is based on the timecode, to avoid problems in
damaged streams. The frames have to be stored in coding order (always
known before being referenced). And the seeking possibilities also take
care of having the reference frames cached/seen, even though it's not
displayed at the seek point.