[Matroska-devel] Re: [Matroska-cvs] [matroska] r953 - trunk/libebml/make/mingw32

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Fri Nov 19 13:55:09 CET 2004

Hey,

> As you compile on Linux, you might just set this variable when you
> compile libebml and libmatroska. Because it's not safe for anyone to
> compile the libraries only to realise later they have to uncheck
> something in the Makefile so that it works. Otherwise you should update
> the comment too.

The Makefile for libmatroska was broken the whole time anyway, because
it had 'EBML_DLL = yes' since... forever now. Now it is at least
conclusive. I'll modify the comments in the Makefiles about the DLLs
only working with mingw compiled programs. (BTW: Isn't this true for the
static libs as well? I guess that g++ and MSVC use different name
mangling syntaxes, so this should be a general warning...)

> I don't encourage the use of a DLL version because it's only compatible
> with MinGW32 programs.

And this is in the MinGW32 Makefile, not a general decision for Windows
:) So if someone actually uses it (it = this Makefile) then she should
be aware that there may be problems.

> That's not the way people are used to work on Windows.

True, but like I said, no one else uses this Makefile anyway. And I just
want some more comfort :)

Mosu