[Matroska-devel] Re: CodecPrivate for MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 video

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Wed Nov 17 20:00:18 CET 2004

Hey,

> Remember Vorbis? ;)
>
> Though it required 3 frame, not just 1.

True, true, but we put those packets into the CodecPrivate in a
separatable way. So for the sake of convenience I vote for the same as
Cyrius: leave the stream as it is and ALSO put the first sequence header
into the CodecPrivate. All known MPEG1/2 decoders will be fine if they
encounter multiple sequence headers (because 1. this is in the MPEG
specs and 2. every stream contains more than one of those anyway), so it
won't harm anyone and provide information for those frameworks that need
the data up front.

In fact I also dislike the way we're handling AAC by encoding stuff that
should belong into the CodecPrivate in the CodecID. The demuxer has to
reconstruct that private data from the CodecID... Bad choice back then
IMHO :( (Yes, I'm responsible, too.)

Mosu