[Matroska-devel] Re: CodecPrivate for MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 video

John Cannon spyder at matroska.org
Wed Nov 17 00:52:26 CET 2004

Paul Bryson wrote:

> I'm sure we've had this discussion before.  I don't feel like actually
> tracking it down in the ML, but it was early in the year, February maybe?
> Anyway, It should be optional.  If the headers are identical for each GOP,
> then why would a decoder need them repeated all the time?

It _IS_ optional.  The MPEG-2 spec allows the headers to be repeated as
often as the encoder desires. The only requirement is that there be 1
somewhere and also that the parameters stay basically the same except
for a few elements.  The spec recommends they be placed before each GOP
for faster seeking and easier editing but AFAIK there is no requirement.
    I don't want to have to reconstruct the stream on demux though.  So
I vote for leaving the stream intact.

John