[Matroska-devel] adding a 'forced display' flag?

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Tue Nov 16 16:32:33 CET 2004

Alexander Noe' a écrit :
> Moritz Bunkus wrote:
>
>> Hey,
>>

>>> If you want something like subs that are on by default (e.g. using
>>> the default flag),
>>>

>> No, that's NOT what the default flag is for. It does NOT tell the player
>> to turn on the subs by default! It only tells it that IF the user wants
>> subs that this track should be used by default unless the user says
>> otherwise.
>>

> I meant that 2 subtitle tracks should be made from one that contains
> forced subs. Then, one of the "forced" ones can be marked as default,
> and the user can select between e.g.  "german - normal", "german -
> forced only",
> "english - normal", "english - forced only" etc or "none".

But you forget that the default flag applies to all kinds of track, not
just subs. The default flag is to tell "if you don't know what track to
use in the list, use this one". It doesn't say anything else.

The forced flag would say "regardless of the playback option, this track
has to be used". At least that how it works on DVDs. But I would prefer
it a nicer way, ie having multiple forced track, one for each language
supported and a default one if the language is not found.