[Matroska-devel] adding a 'forced display' flag?

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Tue Nov 16 15:54:20 CET 2004

Hey,

> Because, as you know, I'm working on the DVD compatibility. And the
> forced flag is not only used to annoy the user.

True, but it may very well be abused. Like DVD has asked last week -- he
wants to use it often, it seems. The "problem" is that we cannot call a
player "Matroska compatible" if it allows to switch off such forced
subs.

Anyway, for full DVD support we definitely need it, so we should include
it.

But again, then we should not INSIST on the player authors making it
'un-switch-offable' (yeah I know, my English is bad today).

> So the question is not why support it, but why *not* support it ?

Abuse, but I'm ok with it if we "allow" player authors to let their
users turn them off. Maybe mit a warning about "not being able to fully
enjoy the greatness of this movie" or sth like that.

> (lazyness and lack of support are IMO not arguments, just problems)

True.

Mosu

--
 ==> Ciao, Mosu (Moritz Bunkus)