[Matroska-devel] adding a 'forced display' flag?

Alexander Noe' alexander.noe at s2001.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue Nov 16 15:49:07 CET 2004

Steve Lhomme wrote:

> Alexander Noe' a écrit :
>
>> Steve Lhomme wrote:
>>

>>> Well. The force feature should be like in DVDs for subtitles. You
>>> have no option to disable some kind of subs.
>>

>> Why exactly do you want to add a possibility to make broken and
>> useless files?
>

> Because, as you know, I'm working on the DVD compatibility.

But you are welcome to drop the crappy parts.

> And the forced flag is not only used to annoy the user.

But it is close to that.

> As we already discussed it can be used when someone in a movie speaks
> in a foreign language (like klingon) and the text is translated,
> regardless of the subtitle configuration. In such a configuration, the
> forced sub, wouldn't overlap with normal subs.

Too bad that this is not only done with klingon, vulcan, romulan etc...
Just get a german Cruel Intensions DVD and you'll see what I mean.

> The other case is when a logo is displayed all the video long. Then
> both subs can be displayed at the same time. And DVDs support that. So
> the question is not why support it, but why *not* support it ?
> (lazyness and lack of support are IMO not arguments, just problems)

If you want something like subs that are on by default (e.g. using the
default flag), then
tell Gabest to use the default flag... mkvmerge and avi-mux gui have
been able to set
it for a long time already.

Alex