[Matroska-devel] adding a 'forced display' flag?

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Tue Nov 16 15:05:45 CET 2004

Alexander Noe' a écrit :
> Steve Lhomme wrote:
>

>> Well. The force feature should be like in DVDs for subtitles. You have
>> no option to disable some kind of subs.
>

> Why exactly do you want to add a possibility to make broken and useless
> files?

Because, as you know, I'm working on the DVD compatibility. And the
forced flag is not only used to annoy the user. As we already discussed
it can be used when someone in a movie speaks in a foreign language
(like klingon) and the text is translated, regardless of the subtitle
configuration. In such a configuration, the forced sub, wouldn't overlap
with normal subs.

The other case is when a logo is displayed all the video long. Then both
subs can be displayed at the same time. And DVDs support that. So the
question is not why support it, but why *not* support it ? (lazyness and
lack of support are IMO not arguments, just problems)