[Matroska-devel] adding a 'forced display' flag?

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Mon Nov 8 16:40:18 CET 2004

Hey,

after the confusion lately about the 'default track' flag I thought I'd
post this on the ML.

The situation: We have a 'default track' flag that says that this track
is the default track for its kind. The usage of this flag from the POV
of a player is:

1. Has the user selected a specific track for this kind? If yes, then
   use that track. If not, goto 2.
2. Has the user chosen to view such tracks in general? If not, don't
   display a track of this kind (!).
3. Does one of the tracks of this kind have its default flag set? If yes
   display this track, don't display such a track otherwise.

Remember that the default value for the 'default track' flag is '1'. So
if it's not written in the file then it is implicitely set to '1'.

The problem was that TCMP interpreted the presence of the 'default
track' flag with a value of '1' as 'always show such a track' which is
not what this flag was inteded for.

Therefore we need a new flag, let's call it 'force display' for the
time being. It's default value should be '0' obviously. One problem I
see with it, however, is that it totally smashes 'default track' if it
is set. Meaning that 'default track' simply has no meaning whatsoever if
'force display' is set to '1'. So maybe another option would be adding
another value to 'default track':
'0': nope, it isn't the default track,
'1': yes, it is the default track, but only display it if the user wants
tracks of this kind,
'2': yes, definitely display it.

Please also note that I personally don't like players forcing me to view
stuff I haven't selected. I'm always in favour of a player giving the
user the choice whether he wants to see something or not. This will
weaken such a flag/option.

Opinions?

Mosu