[Matroska-devel] Re: EBML

Martin Nilsson matroska at mani.user.lysator.liu.se
Thu Mar 18 11:09:08 CET 2004

Steve Lhomme wrote:

> This is HTML, not XHTML. Lots of people use it. And even with a <p></p>
> around it, the behaviour can be different depending on the browser
> (behaviour not covered by the DTD).

Yes, but that doesn't alter the fact that it is invalid HTML and that
the behaviour isn't defined in any standard. HTML 2.0 defines ul as:

<!ELEMENT (OL|UL) - -  (LI)+>

I.e. an UL element must only contain one or more LI elements. If that is
not the case the client may do whatever it wants; e.g. print out the
contents as best as I can, show dacing rodents or dump core.

/Martin Nilsson