[Matroska-devel] EBML

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Thu Mar 18 09:10:22 CET 2004

Hi,

> At least if the Matroska files really have different element order in
> practice...

They do. The three 'major' muxers (Alexander Noe's AVI-Mux GUI, Gabest's
DirectShow Matroska muxer and my mkvmerge) all produce files in which
elements are ordered differently. And order does not make sense
everywhere! It might make sense for the 'smaller' units like block
groups, track headers etc. But for the KaxSegment (level 1 elements) it
does not make any sense at all - we'd lose flexibility. We have the
seekheads for locating level 1 elements, so finding them isn't a problem
either.

> >However, you write: "By default this restriction is imposed on all
> >children to all elements." Does this mean that a DTD can change that?
>
> Yes.

Then we don't really have a problem.

Mosu