[Matroska-devel] Tag names

Age Bosma agebosma at home.nl
Sat Mar 13 16:41:49 CET 2004

Hi,

I'm working on a general reference table for tag/field names of the
different tag types used (OGG, ID3, APE, Matroska) and I got pointed to
the list your are providing on the matroska website.
I decided to use your table as a base and add the other tag type names
to it because your list nicely sorted into groups.

First of all your page is containing one dead link and one typo:
http://matroska.org/technical/specs/tagging/index.html
The Example XML Tags link
(http://matroska.org/technical/specs/tagging/tagexamples/example.xml) is
dead at the moment.
The tag INTERNET_RADIO_STATION is akin to the TRSN tag in ID3v2.4
instead of the TSRN tag. This one doesn't exist ;-)

Is there any list available which already contains more comparison
information including other tag types? If not I'm going to extend my
list and if you like I'll keep you informed about updates incase you
might want to use it as well.
Am I correct the current Matroska list doesn't include all id3
comparisons yet? There seem to be some more similarities which aren't
included yet. Or has the list already been completed and you've desided
that there are no similarities close enough anymore?

Also, foobar is adding ReplayGain info using the REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN
and REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK instead of the Matroska proposed
REPLAYGAIN_GAIN and REPLAYGAIN_PEAK. The first two names seem to
describe the information better imo. Especially compared to the names
used for the album gain and peak in Matroska. Also if sticking to the
first two names it would be more consistent with the other formats.

I would love to see the XML Example because this is the reason why I
started creating the reference file in the first place. I want to
develop a general xml output format to export e.g. playlist information
in time this could be used as a playlist format as well.
Is there discussion taking place somewhere about this subject? I would
like to contribute because there's no point in inventing the wheel twice.

This is what I got so far, not including Matroska yet:
http://hobba.hobba.nl/audio/tagfields.html
While adding Matroska to the list I already came across some minor
errors which are being corrected as we speak.

Cheers,

Age