[Matroska-devel] Gstreamer and matroska - the opensource answer to VideoforWindows/AVI and Quicktime/MOV ?

Martin Nilsson matroska at mani.user.lysator.liu.se
Wed Mar 10 22:45:10 CET 2004

Christian HJ Wiesner wrote:
> DivX.com have plans to release DivX6 from AVI and VCM, as well as from
> the MPEG4 standard in general. They have plans for a new, DivX6 specific
> container format i heard, and want to establish themselves as a new
> video standard that way, even with hardware support.

Yes, and they do not consider Matroska because Matroska and their DivX6
container have conflicting goals. DivX Networks wants to have a format
that can be _fully_ supported, so when you build a box and put a DivX6
sticker on it you can promise the customer that it can play all possible
codec combinations ever available for DivX6.

This is of course nothing more than a marketing strategy to gently fool
the customer, because when technology has evolved they will release the
DivX7 container with another set of fixed codecs. It is however
important to have a frozen, well defined specification to launch big
volume consumer products.

Matroska profiles are too weak. To be a viable alternative Matroska must
clearly seperate between the _framework_ Matroska, which may be as
generalized as you wish, and the specific Matroska 2004 (or whatever)
that only allows for a very specific set of options (possibly enforced
by technical means). When I hinted in this direction earlier I didn't
get the feeling that this is something anyone here is willing to do.

/Martin Nilsson